This simple and subtle dessert was a good introduction for Avery to other types of fresh cheese.
Serves 6 to 8. Total time 20 minutes.
1 cup ricotta
1/2 cup mascarpone
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
2 tablespoons chopped pistachios (optional)
1 pound cake (we liked the 11-ounce Sara Lee)
1 cup fresh berries (any kind)
1. Wrap the ricotta in a few damp paper towels and squeeze it over the sink for 30 seconds.
2. Whisk the ricotta in a large bowl until smooth.
3. Add the mascarpone, sugar, vanilla and orange zest and whisk until fully incorporated.
4. Fold in the pistachios (if using).
5. Cut the pound cake into 1/2 inch slices and toast them in a toaster oven or in a regular oven at 375 degrees for about 2 minutes a side (until they are lightly browned).
6. Top each slice with a dollop of the cream, then sprinkle with the berries.
In the last photo were some impromptu raspberries stuffed with cannoli filling.
Recipe from Cookie Magazine August 2008.